What’s new Mama?
TRY OUR CURRY PASTES!
We’ve put together curry paste kits for some of our most popular dishes, so you can try your hand at Mamasan at home!
Each kit comes with Mamasan’s secret ingredients and instructions (in exactly the right proportions) you will need to recreate the Mamasan curry experience in your own kitchen.
All you need to add is your favourite meat, fish, vegetable, and of course… rice!
We have 3 recipes to choose from: Green Curry, Red Curry and Massaman Curry.
Price 100K net, and each kit serves 3 portions.
Try your hand at cooking like a Chef
Kitchen Bar Lounge
WE ARE OPEN
Monday – Sunday:
12.00pm – 03.00pm
06.00pm – 10.00pm
(last order 30mns before closing)
“Mama San is renowned for their fusion Asian food thanks to chef and owner Will Meyrick and for having some of the best cocktails in Bali. Bookings here are a must.”
– Vogue Australia
“With its moody elegance and superb food, the place is full every night and no one serious about food or fun should miss it. It’s Asian street food in a remarkable setting.”
“Thank goodness the terms “popular” and “excellent” don’t have to be mutually exclusive. Meyrick hasn’t at all lost his touch in the kitchen, creating standout Asian flavors”
– Condé Nast Traveller
“Mama San and their various sister restaurants have firmly established themselves atop on the lengthening list of Bali’s must-eats”
– Good Food Australia
All Day Menu
“An amazing collection of street-food inspired dishes from Southeast Asia, with Malay, Singaporean, Thai, Cambodian, Indonesian and Vietnamese cuisine, as well as Chinese and Indian, and mouth-watering iconic Southeast Asian flavours that include coconut, Thai basil, chillies and kaffir lime.”
– Asian Dreams
Sunday Dim Sum
“Dim Sum literally means “touch the heart”. These bitesize treasures are crafted with the soul!
Perfect dishes for familial and social gatherings”
– Will Meyrick
Cocktails & Drinks
“On the second floor of Mama San, is an austere lounge with a voluminous cocktail menu starring drinks made with mostly regional ingredients. The ambience, while moody, is very comfortable, making Mama San the perfect cocktail bar to while away a hot Balinese evening”
– Lifestyle Asia
“After all the travelling and cooking with the ibu-ibus from India all the way to Laos, we decided to put a cookbook together. As we’re doing it, we’re like, there’s so many great, streetfoody recipes, let’s build a restaurant that’s accessible, and that’s why Mama San kind of grew into what it was.
The reason behind the name, Mama San, is basically because I cook with so many old ladies. For me, that is very like the mamasan of a brothel; the mamasan who looks after the girls. The girls all come from the street, she’s brought them in, she’s looked after them, she’s educated them, and you know, there’s a certain belonging to a mamasan. And it’s the same thing of how I feel when I cook. There’s a certain belonging with these women who have passed on their recipes to me. That I have to protect and respect the recipes and also understand the cultures that I’ve worked with. And that’s why we have the lady as a feature on the wall, she’s looking over the diners and making sure I’m cooking correctly.
It’s taken off because over the years, we’ve seen plenty of Asian restaurants that just popped up. Good thing or bad thing, I don’t know [laughs] but it keeps you on your toes, makes you travel more, to get more ideas. That’s when we decided to expand.”
– Will Meyrick
1. Mama San is so happy to support Bali Children Foundation’s work feeding families in need. $25 feeds a family of 4 with staple food for 4 weeks. Donate at www.bcfl.org.au
2. We are committed to creating a nurturing and supportive community for our team members all of whom we consider to be family.
3. Mama San management mandates the following hygiene practices:
- Handwashing every 30 minutes.
- Hand sanitisers and wipes to be made available absolutely everywhere.
- Make masks available and mandatory for all.
- Scheduled sanitising of all shared surfaces every 30 minutes.
- Increased cleaning across the board with an external agency deep sanitisation every 10 days.
- Ban physical contact (no handshakes, high fives, fist bumps etc.).
- Hygienic option for guests to store their masks in during the meal (paper bag with a sticker)
4. We believe physical distancing is going to be part of the ‘new normal’ for the foreseeable future.